Dehydrated Flying...

Img Source: https://journals.lww.com/nursing/
Fulltext/2009/04000/Assessing_for_dehydration_in_adults.9.aspx

Here’s a little secret about me that only travel companions know. I am deathly afraid of airplane toilets. When flying I do all I can to avoid them. In earlier years I would grudgingly go and literally NOT touch any surface at all during the entire experience—‘cept maybe the floor.

For yesterday’s red-eye flight I stopped drinking liquids at 2pm and evacuated my bladder thrice at the airport before getting onto the plane. I was well-and-truly dehydrated before the 6-hour flight.

In the final minutes of being in the air, seated between a drafty window and a bright-eyed co-ed, I raised my right hand in front of my face and pinched the thumb with the thumb and forefinger of my left. That indentation in the skin went nowhere.

But still I refused to drink a drop until I was inside of a terminal. Well...I will drink wine. It’s a dehydrating beverage, and if I stick to one then little to no kidney activity is encouraged during an extended wait.