Summer Holidays 2: Antigua or Bust

I really thought it a good idea to take a challenging summer class in conjunction with a 2 week stay in the Caribbean! HA!

In truth I had no intention of taking a class when booking travel in February. Instead, I’d have spent a mentally taxing spring, fulfilling the myriad requirements needed for my first year as a speech-language pathology grad student. But alas, I didn’t learn of my acceptance into 2 programs until after I’d given up on it (and subsequently dropped all spring courses)..., I had to pick up those classes fairly quickly this summer.

I made a quick video for a friend before I left, and decided to continue making them while away. In addition to making art and getting a gorgeous tan, I also made a few video updates to mark the trip. 

There are a few useful lessons that I learned from 2 weeks in the sun, and I’ll share them here for free and a couple of my video insights:


First, life is too short to be afraid to dance! At every opportunity I danced to the music...even when no one else danced. People too nervous to move congratulated me on my slick moves (but they were really congratulating my bravery). Middle-age is exactly the right time to do what makes one happy.

Second, have you ever seen seagulls make love? They make love like no birds I’ve seen. There is a mirthfulness (at least on the part of one participant) that just makes everyone around want to be happy too. So, the lesson is something about making love with full joy.

Third, and most important, is to remain open. Whenever on holiday, I always chat folks up and listen to their stories. I gain so much from the wisdom of strangers.


In week one we met a man for Yorkshire who was in Antigua with a dozen of his family to attend a wedding. We ended up spending so much time with this family and learning about their part of the world. 



When they left, the retired Russian couple appeared. 

She has given me an idea for my next life’s goal… get f**king fit. Each morning, afternoon, and evening Masha took a brisk constitutional followed by a dip in the sea. She is full of energy and fills out a bikini quite nicely. Her hubby is a former boxer and just as cool, if a bit less athletic. They absolutely made this second week. A further lesson that I take from them is the vitality of being flexible (this comes to mind as I potentially embark on a new educational pathway…if for some reason it doesn’t work out, I will still be enriched by my experience…feel me?). 

 


At some point this week I also chatted with a couple from Jersey—and here I thought that Bergerac was all fun and fiction—he is a corrections officer and she is a former police officer. They popped up daily and we talked a little each time. They reminded me that I don’t need to take my surfing lessons in Australia, when there a a million other beaches with less pungent waves! So, Alicia, the former cop and ballerina---and now ballet school teacher—says, why not learn to surf in Jersey?! She is absolutely right. Her partner, Pete is a former pro football player who emigrated to Jersey…a cool couple. 



One last thing to say about this trip as I’m firmly ensconced in it is this...during week 1 at the resort, there were half-a-dozen teams from multiple islands here for the Little League World Series, today they are mostly gone. But they’ve been replaced by that appears to be the under 17s, cricketers from the UK. According to their coaches, they a re getting their asses handed to them by our Caribbean cricketers. So that’s good.

Next up: the annual farm trip, and maybe a couple short summery jaunts before or after...I'll keep making little videos.


Post a Comment

0 Comments