Summer Holidays 3: Art in Antigua


When on vacation I disconnect completely from life in America. I shut off the television and read only local news, and I actively engage with my art materials. In Antigua last week, I pulled out my favorite pencil case--gifted to me earlier this year--my favorite colored pencils, and my favorite watercolors. Between walking, swimming, eating, drinking, and getting Covid (for a few days), I made art to help me to process my experience of being home for the first time since 2019.

Study in seagull: have I ever discussed the joy of observing seagulls? They make love like no other creatures..full of mirth and laughter!
 


Colored pencils study of the mango man...back when I was a kid, we'd climb mango trees and
gorge ourselves on the sweet, staining fruit (I always had a stick school uniform!)

Detail of Sea grape plant in graphite and colored pencils.
This was a particularly contemplative piece.

 

...and then there's this little unfinished gem, the pencil version of an Antiguan lemon tree




 

Post a Comment

0 Comments