Summer Holiday: Back at the Farm

At Northland Sheep Dairy
 
The original plan was to head to Bethany Beach for the annual family reunion and body surfing competition. So hubby and all of his brothers, sisters, in-laws, nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles headed to a strip of Delaware to reconnect and unwind. I hear they had a great time...for while everyone was sunning and sanding at the beach, I was home alone taking a unit test followed by the final exam for Speech & Voice Science (I passed).

Not to miss another family tradition, I headed to Northland Sheep Dairy, a few days early... to make art, unwind from a brutal summer semester, and hopefully catch a world cup match or two. One of the farmers, my sister-in-law, Mary Rose, shares a birthday with me, so we normally have a bit of fun this weekend each year. I vowed to keep out of everyone's way and before hubby arrived for the weekend. To be frank, I needed the solitary downtime.

There's no television, but plenty of opportunity to stream entertainment. This was me battling with Telemundo at 420AM to catch the England v. Denmark match en vivo!
I packed 2 bags with more art supplies and less clothing than I needed...then made art
(who packs a projector for  a week in nature? I do)

Stuff you lean on a dairy farm: Cardoun is amazing,
it produces plant-based rennet that allows folks to make cheese without using animal tummy enzymes! Cool, huh
?

For her birthday sis-in-law treated the party to crab toast...my contribution was crab picking!

Hubby arrived and serenaded us with some smooth jazz on his clarinet...

Last year we saw the scale model of the new workshop...this year we see the real thing. It's so cool to see all the changes this farm undertakes each year.

We head home soon, back to the city, back to our small garden, and back to normal life. As always, I've loved coming here to spend this brief time in this magical place.

See our past visits to Northland Sheep Dairy



Post a Comment

0 Comments