50% Chance of FIRE

London 2024

This didn't happen, but could have. Great fire of London (NPR)

Jet lag finally got me today. I left breakfast and popped into the Waitrose market for bits and bobs, and returned to my room. I had already had a full face of makeup on, and removed it all so I could lie in bed, rest my eyes for a few minutes. Ten minutes after that I popped on an audio book, got undressed, and pulled the covers up!

this is a fair bit of makeup to put on before heeding a fire drill.
 

Then the piercing, blaring fire alarm started up, waking me from a dead sleep. I sprang up like a jack-in-the-box and pulled on my outfit from earlier, and grabbed my coat before heading to the door. But then, it occurred to me, 'you're gonna need some more makeup luv.' Not to mention, that I also needed a bit of a tooth-brushing. So, since the alarm had stopped, I figured I had a little time (plus all I learned about London fire drills I learned from comedians on talk shows, so I want too nervous about dying). 

Several minutes after the initial blare, I took the steps down to the first floor-pushing through several pairs of shut fire doors. I made it outside, looking good, and lived to tell the tale. Thankfully, since I did not have the duvet day, the British museum got a surprise visitor today!

Post a Comment

0 Comments