El Anatsui at October Gallery

London 2024

El Anatsui, artist, inspiration.

Solemn Crown at Dawn, 1989
 

Exhibition at October Gallery. Wires wrapped, bottle caps pressed, light, depth, movement, negative space, reflection, transparency. He signs each piece with his initials hidden somewhere. I found 1! 

 

the artist's signature on a 1" square of hammered metal

This artwork makes me feel like a fraud, and I am moved to tears to see the large fluid fabrics made from metal. Another feeling inspires greater experimentation--I will explore this. There are older works from the 80s and 90s, and new pieces from 2023. 

 

can you see the body of the king?

Clouds gathering over the city. Earth struggling to grow roots and leaves. ( something like) the kings resting place. I thought these were all beautiful abstractions, but then I approached the king from a different angle, and suddenly could recognize the body or the monarch, head and limbs. 


This made me tear up more. Beautiful, and worth the entire trip.

Post a Comment

0 Comments