Elderberry Syrup Recipe

My recipe is no secret.

I've had a late start on my syrup this year, because it's just been so dang nice out. Well, the weather has caught up with the season, and last week I caught the cold that's been going around my office. While I had no syrup on hand, I was given daily doses of master tonic by my mum for the duration of the illness--around 5 days.

Each year, I dig out the old recipe book for a reminder on what goes in. Finally it's fully committed to memory. One little change is this, the preservative: I use wither Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) or high-proof alcohol (gin is my choice, about an oz of gin into each pint).

  • 3.5 c water
  • 2/3 c dried berries
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp whole cloves
  • 2 tbsp black peppercorns
  • grated ginger (lots)
  • optional preservative 
 Almost everything goes into the crock pot, set at low for 4-6 hours, then strain...I add the preservative after it cools...then bottle up and refrigerate for the season. and I'll take 1 tbsp per day as needed for a respiratory infection.

Post a Comment

0 Comments