From Gruesome to Garden (2016)

This weekend Hubby and I put in time on Montpelier Orchard and also on our back 40.

Thankfully, my mom and dad presented us with flowering plants from their own gardens, and the perennial growth from last years plantings will make it a little easier for us to maintain both plots throughout the season.

First, Montpelier Orchard


Since my neighbors who planted the first veggie garden last summer have moved away, no one has taken up the mantel of the left side (aka the vegetable garden). So I decided to give it a good clear out, and also get some growing going. We cleared 80 sq ft of clover and weeds then covered up the façade. On the right side, my perennial herb garden, I cleared some weeds and began taking out some of the flowering plants to make room for the coming herbs and mulch; Sedum and Lambs Ears, to be specific. I also moved a lavender plant closer to it’s peers and some lilies closer to theirs.

It’s fairly mundane looking out front of the orchard, but inside there are several new fruit trees—planted by my awesome neighbors. AND a huge tree that was felled by the municipality has recently been chain-sawed into submission.

In Our Garden

As mentioned, mother and father brought a few treats: Sedum, Hyacinth, and Hydrangeas. Most of these made it into the ground and I promised the left overs to a neighbor. We cut the lawn (FINALLY) and found some ornamental lilies that I’d forgotten about—from our first garden. This time around, we really just moved some plants around.

It’s awesome to have plants that come back each year… last season I spent several hundred dollars on plants and supplies (between home and the orchard).

So far this season, I have spent under $60, and have just about everything I need to finish the orchard front gardens and our lovely private oasis. We have had dinner in the gazebo every night this week, looking over our beautiful handiwork and watching the birds, bees, and butterflies come visit.

What’s Left?



There’re several herbs and veggies on the back porch that want to go into the ground across the street. Plus, I have 8sq ft of thyme that I’ve cultivated in my yard to be transplanted there as well. Rearranging pollinator-inviting flowers, and making painted signs to indicate the (fruit and vegetable) gardens.

After the weekend's work, I made a color-coded sketch to help me get left side in order. Realistically, I should probably make one for the right as well, but I'm really partial to that wild secret garden look from last season. We shall see.

At home, we’ll work on culling (what’s left of) the grass and replacing with beautiful clover, weeding, and watering.





Post a Comment

0 Comments